Did you know that you are required to maintain Professional Development (PD) Points every five years to maintain your Coaching Certification status? This is only required for certified coaches.
CURLSASK projects the number of Non-Renewed status coaches by year:
- 7 Coaches are presently in a “non-renewed” status
- 10 coaches will become non-renewed in Jan of 2020
- 138 Coaches will become non-renewed in Jan of 2021
- 10 Coaches will become non-renewed in Jan of 2022
- 15 Coaches will become non-renewed in Jan of 2023
If you are Competition Coach Certified you are required 20 PD points within five years of your certification.
If you are a Competition Development Coach Certified you are required 30 PD Points within five years of your certification?
Five ways to collect PD Points?
- Active Coaching
- Sport specific training (workshops, seminars and webinars)
- NCCP Multisport training opportunities
- Continued training.
1. Active Coaching
Have you coached this year? Click here to log in to The Locker to complete the Active Coaching Declaration and earn one PD point. Click on “self-report” under “certification”. Don’t forget to come back next year and declare again! Up to 5 PD points per cycle may be recorded under this process.
2. Self-Reporting PD
Coaches are the best people to identify their learning needs and interests. You can self-direct your learning and declare up to 3 PD points per maintenance cycle.
Have you completed extra learning opportunities this year? Click here to log in to The Locker to complete the self-reported PD declaration. Click on “self-report” under “certification”.
3. Sport Specific Training
CURLSASK Training Opportunities
The CURLSASK Webinar Series is intended to spread knowledge to CURLSASK athletes and coaches on various topics. Sessions are led by Director of High Performance, Pat Simmons.
Certified Coaches will receive one (1) Professional Development Credit towards their NCCP Maintenance of Certification. Register here: http://www.curlsask.ca/webinars
Other Member Association Opportunities
- Ontario Curling Council Webinars: http://www.ontariocurlingcouncil.com/blog/occ-webinar-series-for-coach-and-athlete-development/
- 1 PD point per course @ $20.00/ session
- Upcoming Sessions
- April 1, Paul Webster, National Program Coach will be presenting on effective season debriefing
- April 14, Mick Lizmore will be discussing the dynamics of changing teams from both perspectives – being let go and choosing to leave a team.
- CurlBC Webinars: https://www.curlbc.ca/including-girls-in-sport/
- Upcoming Sessions (Free)
- March 31, Actively Engage Girls and Young Women (1.5 hours each)
- Upcoming Sessions (Free)
- Manitoba: please contact Connie Laliberte at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. NCCP Training Opportunities
Coaches Association of Saskatchewan
Typically, 3 PD points are available at each CAS session. Up to date training can be found here: http://www.saskcoach.ca/NCCP_CoachTraining.php
Please note these courses are being held online for the time being – please check back in the fall for more in person opportunities
Coaching Association of Canada
- Log into the locker (using your NCCP Number & password)
- Go to eLearning and select from the following online courses:
|Coach Initiation in Sport||$15.00||1 hour||1 Point|
|Coaching Athletes with a Disability||$15.00||1 hour||1 Point|
|NCCP Emergency Action Plan||$15.00||15 minutes||1 Point|
|NCCP Sport Nutrition||$15.00||1 hour||5 Points|
|Making Head Way||Free||1 hour||5 Points|
|Making Ethical Decisions||$85.00||1 hour||1 Point|
5. Continued Education
Pursing your Competition Development Certification is a great way to maintain PD points, in fact over 30PD points are available. In person courses are presently on hold. Keep an eye on https://www.curling.ca/about-curling/competition-development-program-information/ or reach out to email email@example.com.
Example Pathway for Competition Coach PD
|Active Coaching (1 point for 5 years of coaching)||5 PD Points|
|Self-Directed Learning (IE: First Aid Course)||3 PD Points|
|Four CURLSASK Webinars||4 PD Points|
|NCCP Making Head Way Webinar||4 PD Points|
|NCCP Sport Nutrition Webinar||5 PD Points|