CURLSASK MEMBERSHIP FEE PROPOSAL
Curlers and Clubs belong to CURLSASK for many great reasons. Affiliation fees are paid via an assessment on each club based on the number of sheets and the size of the community. The 150+ clubs are charged $205, $170 or $150 per sheet.
Direct Benefits for CLUBS and CURLERS:
- Eligible to Apply for Financial Assistance for Club Development and Enhancements, aka the MAP Grant
- CURLSASK & CCA Eligible for Competing In Playdown Competitions
- CURLSASK & CCA Eligible for Hosting Competitions
- Be in “The Know” – Communication Pieces
- Promotion of Club Events on the website
- Skills Enhancement and Support – clinics
- Recognition and Awards
The comprehensive list of benefits is listed on the Club Services section of the CURLSASK Website.
- CURLSASK.CA Website
- Social Media – CURLSASK Facebook & Twitter
- FREE end by end results of CURLSASK Competitions, SCT, SWCT events.
- FREE Webcasting of Provincial Men & Women Championships
- Access Communication – Broadcasting of other curling events
- Declaring Provincial Champions from Saskatchewan to cheer on and root for at National Championships. Without CURLSASK teams could not be sent to Nationals.
- Affiliation with CCA – provides curling on TSN, programs and services, ability to hosting National Championships.
- Belonging to the Saskatchewan curling fraternity to ensure all curling clubs are healthy and continue to thrive and survive .
- Youth initiatives run by CURLSASK – summer curling camp (192 athletes), numerous camps/clinics across province, Canada Winter Games program.
The Situation: Affiliation Fees account for 5% of CURLSASK revenues as SaskLotteries, Competition Fees and Sponsorship account for the balance. SaskLotteries funding is directed to CURLSASK member clubs through the MAP Grant process. Affiliation fees do not even cover the salary of one CURLSASK staff member.
To promote a more sustainable business model, CURLSASK is proposing a $10 per curler Membership Fee and eliminating the per sheet affiliation. This will increase operating revenues by 12% .
Each Club President has received a letter from CURLSASK’s President Brian Hill. Each club has received brochures to distribute to club members. Administratively the clubs will be requested to collect the membership fees and submit them to CURLSASK with their membership lists. It is this membership list that will provide the affiliation status. CURLSASK Board and Staff recognizes this is a major change and that clubs will have lots of questions and concerns. For questions and comments contact your Region Coordinator or contact a CURLSASK Board Member for more information.
Attend the Spring Region meeting in your area to find out more from your club’s Region Coordinator.
CURLSASK is looking for your club’s support at the Annual General Meeting on April 26th, 2014 in Regina when this proposal is brought forward. This topic will be discussed at the Member’s Session on Saturday morning prior to the afternoon AGM.